Amanda-Users

Re: new linux client install

2006-04-26 11:35:03
Subject: Re: new linux client install
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: John Clement <j.clement AT readingroom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:32:08 +0200
John Clement schrieb:
> Paul Bijnens wrote:

>>> Just made that change.
>>
>> Do you mean that one of the directories were not executable before,
>> but now is?
> Just the file wasn't executable, I didn't think it had to be, but I've
> made it so now.

>>> Since changing the user in xinetd to 'amandabackup' there haven't
>>> been any debug files. I checked by putting 'amanda' back in there and
>>> restarting xinetd and I did get another debug file, complaining that
>>> access as amandabackup is not allowed from amanad@orinoco.
>>
>> The user that you put in there must exist in the system (password,
>> NIS,...).  And the name of that user should be the one that the program
>> has compiled in.  You find those defaults in the debug
>> file, which seems to mysteriously disappear...
>> You cannot make something up.
> Checking one of the debug files it was compiled with amandabackup as the
> user.
>>
>> So you put "amanda" in there, and you got a debug file.
>> What errors did you find in that file?
> ERROR access as amandabackup not allowed from amanda@orinoco: cannot
> open /var/lib/amanda/.amand
> ahosts: Permission denied

You have to have

orinoco amandabackup

in your .amandahosts, btw (apart from the perms-problem).

The server is orinoco? And there Amanda runs as amandabackup?
And tries to contact the client on murray which runs as amandabackup as
well??

>> When putting "amandabackup" in the xinetd.conf file, you claim there
>> are no debug files and you get a selfcheck timeout. Right?
>> That means to me that "amandabackup" is not a valid user or is not
>> correctly defined (for xinetd).
>>
>> I strongly suspect a problem with that user?  Do you have a uid-clash
>> (two users with different name, but same uid-number)?
>> Is there a local and a NIS-user that are different?
>>
> Having run several times with amanda and amandabackup as the user in
> xinetd, its definately not making any debug files in /tmp/amanda when
> xinetd's user is set to amandabackup, I've double checked that
> amandabackup is a valid user, and that there's no uid clash either.

grep amanda /etc/passwd

Different group-memberships of amanda and amandabackup?

Stefan