Amanda-Users

Re: tape split question

2006-04-26 11:45:49
Subject: Re: tape split question
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:41:16 -0400
On Wednesday 26 April 2006 11:31, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:
> For now I do have a holding disk space greater than 300GB that I can use.
> If I set the size greater then 300GB this it should use this space rather
> then shared memory?

I think you are confusing mmap'd memory and shared memory. Shared memory is
used by taper for something unrelated.

There are three modes that Amanda can use when splitting dumps to tape:
1) Holding-disk mode. The entire dump is written to holding disk, then one
chunk at a time is written to tape.
2) Split-diskbuffer mode. If your system supports MMAP, and you have
configured a split_diskbuffer, and the image can't be done in holding-disk
mode (too big, dumptype does not permit it, etc.), then the holding disk is
used to buffer one chunk at a time: The chunk is written to the holding disk,
then flushed to tape, then the next chunk starts, etc.
3) Memory-buffer mode. If there is a problem with split-diskbuffer mode, then
Amanda will use the fallback_splitsize, and buffer the dump in-memory, one
chunk at a time.

You were using mode 3 in the example you sent us, because the holding disk was
not big enough, and your system does not support mmap.

> > When dumping directly to disk, and mmap is not available, then we use the
> > fallback_splitsize (default 10M) instead of the tape_splitsize -- this is
> > because the buffering is done in memory. If you have the memory, feel
> > free to
> > set a larger fallback_splitsize -- it will improve performance a lot.
>
> What does having mmap available do for me?

At present, it is required for chunk-at-a-time buffering of data on the
holding disk. But that mode is not preferred, because of performance.

> Would this all be a non issue if I keep my holding disk size greater than
> my largest filesystem?

Correct.

Cheers,

--Ian