Amanda-Users

Re: new linux client install

2006-04-26 10:18:52
Subject: Re: new linux client install
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: John Clement <j.clement AT readingroom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:15:08 +0200
On 2006-04-26 12:03, John Clement wrote:
/, /var, /lib, /var/lib/amanda are all readable.

To be complete, they should also be executable.

Just made that change.

Do you mean that one of the directories were not executable before,
but now is?

Oh yea, restarting xinetd, probably a good idea! Output from amcheck now:

WARNING: murray.deanst.rroom.net: selfcheck request timed out. Host down?

Now it looks like xinetd had some problem with it.
Is there something listening on port 10080/udp?

Is there a debugfile created  (/tmp/amanda/amandad.*.debug)?
What is in it?

Since changing the user in xinetd to 'amandabackup' there haven't been any debug files. I checked by putting 'amanda' back in there and restarting xinetd and I did get another debug file, complaining that access as amandabackup is not allowed from amanad@orinoco.

The user that you put in there must exist in the system (password, NIS,...). And the name of that user should be the one that the program
has compiled in.  You find those defaults in the debug
file, which seems to mysteriously disappear...
You cannot make something up.

So you put "amanda" in there, and you got a debug file.
What errors did you find in that file?

When putting "amandabackup" in the xinetd.conf file, you claim there
are no debug files and you get a selfcheck timeout. Right?
That means to me that "amandabackup" is not a valid user or is not
correctly defined (for xinetd).

I strongly suspect a problem with that user?  Do you have a uid-clash
(two users with different name, but same uid-number)?
Is there a local and a NIS-user that are different?

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *