Amanda-Users

Re: Another setup question...

2006-04-05 11:32:41
Subject: Re: Another setup question...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:29:21 -0400
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:00:23AM -0700, Bruce Thompson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, thanks Paul for the help with my server's setup. I've
> completed a full backup, a test restore, and I'm now burning the
> vtapes to DVD (thanks for the capacity note too, I've adjusted my
> tapedev accordingly).
>
> Next step is to set up our two PowerBooks. Currently, both PowerBooks
> get their IP address via DHCP. While switching them to static
> addresses is not impossible, it's a bit inconvenient for me moving
> between home and work.
>
> From what I can tell, Amanda wants a hostname for the clients. Is
> there an easy way anyone knows of to set it up with dynamic client
> addresses?

Most systems allow a single network interface to respond to multiple
IP addresses.  If, for example, your primary interface is eth0, you
could also setup eth0:1 , eth0:2 , etc.

Each of those alternate interfaces can have distinct setups.  Perhaps
you could have your primary interface, eth0, use dhcp and that would
be suitable for home and office use as you now do.  But also setup a
eth0:1 with a fixed, static IP that you list in your host files or DNS.
Haven't tried it, but it might work.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)