Amanda-Users

Re: Another setup question...

2006-04-05 11:19:36
Subject: Re: Another setup question...
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Bruce Thompson <drllama AT otherother DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:17:02 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Bruce Thompson wrote:
> Next step is to set up our two PowerBooks. Currently, both PowerBooks get
> their IP address via DHCP. While switching them to static addresses is not
> impossible, it's a bit inconvenient for me moving between home and work.
>
> From what I can tell, Amanda wants a hostname for the clients. Is there an
> easy way anyone knows of to set it up with dynamic client addresses?

Just give your backup clients a fixed address in dhcpd.conf, like

    host myhost {
        hardware ethernet 00:11:22:33:44:55;
        fixed-address myhost.at.mydomain;
    }

and make sure myhost.at.mydomain is in your DNS config, too.

Then your clients will always receive the same IP address.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds