Amanda-Users

Re: user $PATH problem

2006-04-05 11:20:21
Subject: Re: user $PATH problem
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 11:17:18 -0400
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:20:59AM -0400, Gene Heskett enlightened us:
> When doing it as amanda, with amanda's full $PATH, /usr/local/sbin,
> where all of amanda's executables live, is NOT in the $PATH.
>
> Adding it to ~/.bash_profile seems to allow it to survive the
> pathmunge'ing being done in /etc/profile, so I'm A) confused as to why
> it does, and B) in any event, is there a good reason to dis-allow
> access to /usr/local/sbin for the normal user?
>
> Explain it to me please.

Generally speaking, {foo}/sbin directories are system commands that normal
users shouldn't/needn't be running. There are obvious exceptions to the
rule, but you'll find at least on RedHat-like systems that no "normal" user
has access to /sbin, /usr/sbin, etc. by default. For those special cases,
you can just add it to the path of the necessary user as you did with the
.bash_profile.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak