Amanda-Users

Re: Problems building 2.5 B2

2006-02-24 13:09:52
Subject: Re: Problems building 2.5 B2
From: Ian Turner <ian AT zmanda DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:08:12 -0500
On Friday 24 February 2006 12:07, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> What make's do and don't support static patterns?
> Is it a candidate for a configure check?

I have no idea, but again, it's not a big enough deal, unless there is also
some make out there that supports static patterns and chokes on wildcard
implicit rules -- unlikely.

The Right Way to solve this issue is probably to use m4's looping construct to
generate a Make rule for every file. This gives the power of static patterns
without Make support. That is not as easy as it sounds, however, because at
present the list of manpages to build in a Make variable, not an m4 macro.

> > Try the attached patch, and let me know what happens. Implicit rules hurt
> > make's performance (especially global ones like this), but there are not
> > many targets in that directory anyway, so it is probably not a problem.
>
> Is compilation time for amanda getting long enough such that make
> performance need be a consideration?

Unlikely. Again, this only applies to the man/ subdirectory, which has only
about 2 dozen files in it. Wildcard implicit rules increase Make running time
by the number of targets to build times the number of files in the directory
-- since both are small for man/, it's not a problem.

--Ian
--
Wiki for Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com/