Amanda-Users

Re: Problems building 2.5 B2

2006-02-24 12:12:51
Subject: Re: Problems building 2.5 B2
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:07:12 -0500
On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:59:06PM -0500, Ian Turner wrote:
> On Thursday 23 February 2006 22:38, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > The actual complaint is often a big help to those answering.
> >
> > > $(man_MANS): %: $(MANPAGEDIR)/%.proc.xml xslt/man.xsl
> > >         $(XSLTPROC) --path xslt/ --output $@ man.xsl $<
> > >
> > > Now, it's been a while since I wrote Makefiles, but I must admit that I
> > > don't undrstand rh %: myself.
>
> I have to confess that this is my doing. That line is a "static pattern",
> which is different from an implicit rule in that it applies only to the given
> targets (in this case, man_MANS). However, it would seem that your make does
> not support static patterns.

What make's do and don't support static patterns?
Is it a candidate for a configure check?

> Try the attached patch, and let me know what happens. Implicit rules hurt
> make's performance (especially global ones like this), but there are not many
> targets in that directory anyway, so it is probably not a problem.

Is compilation time for amanda getting long enough such that make
performance need be a consideration?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)