Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-02-03 11:29:43
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:24:35 -0500
On Friday 03 February 2006 09:14, Graeme Humphries wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>So is offloading the compression duties to the client, which has the
>>advantage of reducing the footprint on the networks bandwidth too.
>>You do this in the dumptype with "compress client best". It Just
>>Works(TM) :-)
>
>Well, like I said in my other e-mail, and I believe this is an issue
>that other people are running into as well, the client machines are so
>slow that even my current backup server is faster than them. Believe
> me, I benchmarked the backup times with server vs client side
> compression, and the server side is still faster even with it being a
> huge bottleneck. Client side compression only "Just Works" if your
> clients are reasonably powered, which isn't always the case with
> legacy servers to back up. ;)
>
>Graeme

I'm not sure what you would classify as legacy stuff.  Here I'm doing 3
machines including this as the server, and of course this is the
fastest box, but the clients are a 500mhz K6-III box I use for
firewall, and a 1400 mhz athlon box running my milling machine.  This
one claims to be an XP2800, but actually runs at 2.1ghz.  So it pays me
about an hour saved overall to let the other boxes do their own thing.
Now if there was a dozen old 150 cyrix's out there, it still might pay
because they'd all be running in parallel, but with only 2, yeah, I'd
do it on the server.

Because the firewall box doesn't really get a lot of updates etc, its
often done and in the holding disk in time to be a quite low number in
the file count of the printout.  Its /lib dir was a level 0, compressed
to about 35% last night and #6 in the order taped.  Out or 49 dle's.

But to say thats a clean install of RH7.3, no, it was my main box for
several years. So its got a lot of trash on it that could go out with a
fresh broom.  Probably 20GB of trash.  But I've miss-laid my round tuit
in my dotage. :)

message by Gene Heskett are: