Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-02-03 09:17:53
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 08:14:10 -0600
Gene Heskett wrote:

So is offloading the compression duties to the client, which has the advantage of reducing the footprint on the networks bandwidth too. You do this in the dumptype with "compress client best". It Just Works(TM) :-)
Well, like I said in my other e-mail, and I believe this is an issue that other people are running into as well, the client machines are so slow that even my current backup server is faster than them. Believe me, I benchmarked the backup times with server vs client side compression, and the server side is still faster even with it being a huge bottleneck. Client side compression only "Just Works" if your clients are reasonably powered, which isn't always the case with legacy servers to back up. ;)

Graeme