Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-02-01 23:06:23
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:24:03 -0600
Frank Smith wrote:

Any reason you don't do client compression?  Not only does it give
you more CPUs to compress with, it also cuts down on the network
bandwidth needed to move the data from the clients to the server.
The reason is simply because in our setup, it *doesn't* give us more CPUs to compress with. Most of the backup is being pulled off our main file server, which is a dual P3-500. When doing client side compression, this slows the fileserver to a crawl while backups are happening, and it takes longer than doing server side compression on the dual Athlon 2400+ backup server. ;)

Graeme