Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-02-03 12:21:24
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:15:22 -0600
Gene Heskett wrote:

I'm not sure what you would classify as legacy stuff. Here I'm doing 3 machines including this as the server, and of course this is the fastest box, but the clients are a 500mhz K6-III box I use for firewall, and a 1400 mhz athlon box running my milling machine. This one claims to be an XP2800, but actually runs at 2.1ghz. So it pays me about an hour saved overall to let the other boxes do their own thing. Now if there was a dozen old 150 cyrix's out there, it still might pay because they'd all be running in parallel, but with only 2, yeah, I'd do it on the server.
Yeah, that's the situation with us, in that we have a very small number of servers, and they're all quite a bit slower (CPU wise) than the backup server, so server side compression is still faster. It really depends on the mix you have, that's for sure. :)

Graeme