Amanda-Users

Re: about reuse/no-reuse

2006-02-03 11:34:24
Subject: Re: about reuse/no-reuse
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:30:02 -0500
On Friday 03 February 2006 09:02, Omer wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Sorry if this has been discussed yet (I found some related topics on
> the archive but no real answer) but I'm having problems with amadmin
> reuse/no-reuse.
>First I noticed that if a DLE is backed up on a tape and then fails
> for any reason (like an offline host) for a whole dump cycle, this
> tape will be overwritten without notification and, even worse, the
> database is not updated correctly in this case (I did not check
> amrecover but the two backups appears on the 'stats' line of amadmin
> export when only the latest is really present). Is this a bug or
> something I misunderstood in Amanda? Or can it be because of the
> daily timestamps problem ? (I ran all these dumps the same day, for
> testing)
>As this can happen in my particular configuration, I wrote a script
> which automatically marks the used tapes as 'no-reusable' with
> amadmin but Amanda then fails to flush when a no-reusable tape comes
> up in the cycle. (message: taper: FATAL syncpipe_get: r: unexpected
> EOF). So, did I do something wrong ? What was originally the purpose
> of reuse/no-reuse ?
>
>Thanks,

AIUI, that option was for tapes that were being removed from circulation
by being put into long term archival storage.  That option also
prevents amanda from deleting the index files should you ever get it
out and use it to restore, they'll still be there.

But thats AIUI only, and very well could be wrong.

message by Gene Heskett are: