Amanda-Users

about reuse/no-reuse

2006-02-03 09:13:44
Subject: about reuse/no-reuse
From: Omer <omer AT no-log DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:02:11 +0100
Hi!

Sorry if this has been discussed yet (I found some related topics on the
archive but no real answer) but I'm having problems with amadmin
reuse/no-reuse.
First I noticed that if a DLE is backed up on a tape and then fails for any
reason (like an offline host) for a whole dump cycle, this tape will be
overwritten without notification and, even worse, the database is not updated
correctly in this case (I did not check amrecover but the two backups appears
on the 'stats' line of amadmin export when only the latest is really
present). Is this a bug or something I misunderstood in Amanda? Or can it be
because of the daily timestamps problem ? (I ran all these dumps the same
day, for testing)
As this can happen in my particular configuration, I wrote a script which
automatically marks the used tapes as 'no-reusable' with amadmin but Amanda
then fails to flush when a no-reusable tape comes up in the cycle. (message:
taper: FATAL syncpipe_get: r: unexpected EOF). So, did I do something wrong ?
What was originally the purpose of reuse/no-reuse ?

Thanks,
--
Omer