Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-01-31 12:24:56
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:15:16 -0600
Graeme Humphries wrote:
> stan wrote:
>
>> It's one of those "corporate political corectness" things. Management
>> recognizes the nae, and if I sugest a "non name brand", I have to a +lot_
>> more expalining.
>>

> Ahh well, I figured it'd be something like that. In any case, we're
> doing server side compression, and I can't stress enough that you'll
> need tons of CPU horsepower on the backup box if you're backing up a
> large number of systems. Usually, items from our disklist take about 1/4
> of the time to blow out to tape that they take to actually dump to the
> holding disk, and the bottleneck is totally the server side compression.
> Luckily, fast processors are cheap these days. ;)
>
> Graeme

Any reason you don't do client compression?  Not only does it give
you more CPUs to compress with, it also cuts down on the network
bandwidth needed to move the data from the clients to the server.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673