Amanda-Users

Amanda server selection advice

2006-01-31 05:45:52
Subject: Amanda server selection advice
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:01:33 -0500
I'm going to upgrade our Amanda tape/index server.

I've narrowed the choice of machines down to one of 2 Sun Models. Either a
W2100Z, or a Ultra 40. I plan on using an Ultrim tape drive, and doing
compression on the server, so I need lot's of CPU power, and of course high
I/O throughput.

I was wondering what people thought about this selection?

The W2100Z is a SCSI machine, but I would still add a 2nd SCSI card
dedicated to the tape drive. The Ultra 40 looks like it would have more CPU
power, as the processors are dual core. I plan on using Solaris 10, if that
matters. Is SATA equal to SCSI for the disk I/O?

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror