Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-01-31 21:17:27
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:00:59 -0500
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:01:33AM -0500, stan wrote:
> I'm going to upgrade our Amanda tape/index server.
>
> I've narrowed the choice of machines down to one of 2 Sun Models. Either a
> W2100Z, or a Ultra 40. I plan on using an Ultrim tape drive, and doing
> compression on the server, so I need lot's of CPU power, and of course high
> I/O throughput.
>
> I was wondering what people thought about this selection?
>
> The W2100Z is a SCSI machine, but I would still add a 2nd SCSI card
> dedicated to the tape drive. The Ultra 40 looks like it would have more CPU
> power, as the processors are dual core. I plan on using Solaris 10, if that
> matters. Is SATA equal to SCSI for the disk I/O?

My first impression was SATA is fine for holding and 4 threads
of the Ultra 40 was a big plus.  But I decided to ask someone,
Al Hopper, from the Solaris x86 mailing list whose opinion I value.

Al concurred that the Ultra 40 is the better choice and brought
up a number of points in support of his decision that I'd not
considered.  Things like end of product life and benefits of
moving to Sun's new filesystem, ZFS, in the near future.

Its a little off topic, but I thought my question and Al's reply
worth posting.

On Tuesday, Jan 31 2006, Al Hooper replied:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> [...]
> just boot off one SATA (dedicated OS) drive and you'll have 3
> other SATA drives to play with using regular SVM - or ZFS if
> you want to load the next Solaris express release on the new
> box (build 31 or 32 should ship in the next week).  When ZFS
> ships, use all 4 SATA drives in a raidz config for everything
> (data, OS, swap, home etc).  This may sound conter-intutive -
> using a 4-drive raidz for everything, including your backup
> processes, but that is exactly what ZFS is designed to do.
> Also don't forget that you can setup a ZFS filesystem with
> compression enabled - so you could spool your incoming data
> stream to a ZFS compressed filesystem - then your read
> performance would be 2x - depending on the compressibility of
> your incoming data stream.
>
> Since the W1100 and W2100 are based on designs made by someone
> else, they'll be EOLed ASAP AFAICT.  This is my personal
> opinion only.  The Ultra40 is Suns long term solution to a
> deskside dualie tower and it will be better supported going
> forward IMHO. You should be selling W[12]00Zs right now!  :)
>
> PS: I know Sun is working on drivers for some dumb 4 & 8
> channel SATA controllers made by someone else.  The SuperMicro
> board is one of the target boards.  When these drivers ship,
> you'll be able to connect to a dumb 4-slot external disk drive
> cage and now you'll have another ~ 2Tb (4 * 500Gb) of disk
> drives to play with.  And another raidz device on separate
> physical spindles and the ZFS tools to slice/dice them into
> many filesystems.
>
> PS: Think about where ZFS is headed.  Assuming a future tuned
> rev, say 6 months from now (or less), you could take an input
> stream of ~ 100Mb/Sec from a backup client, store it on a
> compressed raidz filesystem, then read it at 200Mb/Sec from a
> 4-way raidz device - but since its already compressed, so you
> can expect to see 2 * 200Mb/Sec reads - which is now ready for
> compression via gzip, or whatever the compression method you
> use with Amanda, and it'll easily saturate your backup device
> and keep it streaming.
>
> PPS: Don't forget that WD just shipped their 150GB 10,000 RPM
> SATA Raptor with Native Command Queuing (NCQ).  This drive will
> seriously kick SCSIs ask, in terms of throughput and I/O
> Ops/Sec.  It is available in small quantities right now.
>
> I'm assuming you have not played with ZFS yet? It's innovative,
> disruptive and compelling technology.  After you play with ZFS
> you won't want to go "backwards".
>
> [0] Which is why we have the move to Serial Attached SCSI.  Not
> because they wanted to disrupt a perfectly good, stable,
> revenue generating SCSI market!
>
> [1] Did you see Bart Smalders recent post?  Getting 100Mb/Sec
> with a low-end AMD 3200+ (IIRC) and some cheap SATA drives.
>
> Regards,
>
> Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc, Plano, TX.  al AT logical-approach DOT com
> OpenSolaris.Org Community Advisory Board (CAB) Member - Apr 2005

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)