Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server selection advice

2006-01-31 13:51:25
Subject: Re: Amanda server selection advice
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:38:47 -0500
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:15:16AM -0600, Frank Smith wrote:
> Graeme Humphries wrote:
> > stan wrote:
> >
> >> It's one of those "corporate political corectness" things. Management
> >> recognizes the nae, and if I sugest a "non name brand", I have to a +lot_
> >> more expalining.
> >>

> > Ahh well, I figured it'd be something like that. In any case, we're
> > doing server side compression, and I can't stress enough that you'll
> > need tons of CPU horsepower on the backup box if you're backing up a
> > large number of systems. Usually, items from our disklist take about 1/4
> > of the time to blow out to tape that they take to actually dump to the
> > holding disk, and the bottleneck is totally the server side compression.
> > Luckily, fast processors are cheap these days. ;)
> >
> > Graeme
>
> Any reason you don't do client compression?  Not only does it give
> you more CPUs to compress with, it also cuts down on the network
> bandwidth needed to move the data from the clients to the server.

Actually the system I'm upgrading _does_ do client compression. But we are
upgrading the network from 10M to Gigabit. nd a lot of the clients are
_really_ old machine (100MHZ SPARCS for instance), so I'm anxious to get
that load off of them

Thus the change.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror