Amanda-Users

Re: poor documentation

2005-09-16 06:07:51
Subject: Re: poor documentation
From: "Clive Galway" <GalwaC AT gosh.nhs DOT uk>
To: <ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:58:01 +0100
Thanks for the link, I already found
http://www.harkness.co.uk/services/backup.html which appears to be
basically the same thing.
It was very helpful.

I would like to help out on the docs, but am currently very busy
writing my own open source project and just don't have much time.
Once I have set up our amanda system (which is a basic one linux server
setup with a DDS4 tape) I will have to document it.

Seeing as I work for a hospital and not a for-profit company, I see no
reason why I could not make that document public. That would seem to
benefit others (I see people here agreeing that some form of quick-start
would be a good idea) and the hospital (If we made a mistake, it is more
likely to be corrected by others and we can feed that correction back
into our system)

Maybe a smart idea would be to have the docs on a wiki so we could
suggest changes easier, certainly if there is going to be a
collaborative effort to get some kind of quick start doc going, that
would be best done on a wiki.

>>> "Gavin Henry" <ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com> 09/15/05 8:45 pm >>>
<quote who="Clive Galway">
> Is there any documentation other than the official manual ?
> The one I have (dated june 26 2005, so I presume it is recent) is
> woefully poor and has in some cases made the install harder, not
> easier.

You can always offer to help?

Here is something I put together:

http://fedoranews.org/ghenry/amanda/

Paid support available:

http://www.amanda.org/support/commercial.php

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 742001
E ghenry AT suretecsystems DOT com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

http://www.suretecsystems.com/

_______________________________________
Disclaimer: Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust

SECURITY WARNING RE: PATIENT OR OTHER CONFIDENTIAL DATA. Please note
that Internet E-mail is simply not a secure communication medium.
We strongly advise that you understand & observe this lack of security
when e-mailing us.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000: The information contained in this e-mail
may be subject to public disclosure under this Act.  Unless the information
is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and
your reply cannot be guaranteed.

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom they are addressed.  If you have
received this email in error please notify your email administrator.

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author of this email
and do not represent those of Great Ormond Street Hospital for
Children NHS Trust unless specifically stated.

VIRUSES: This email message has been checked for the presence of
computer viruses by Sophos antivirus software.  However, this does
not guarantee that this email is free of viruses, and the recipient
should perform their own check.