Amanda-Users

poor documentation

2005-09-15 09:40:56
Subject: poor documentation
From: "Clive Galway" <GalwaC AT gosh.nhs DOT uk>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:20:20 +0100
Is there any documentation other than the official manual ?
The one I have (dated june 26 2005, so I presume it is recent) is
woefully poor and has in some cases made the install harder, not
easier.

Some examples:
Chapter 2.2.1 - last line of page 33, start of page 34:
it talks about the $prefix dir and the various command-line parameters
that use the $prefix variable. If users have to change some things,
then, like me, they will be lulled into thinking they should use
something like --llibdir=/etc/amanda/lib
This would cause a problem though because then some things would be
installed under the prefix dir and some would not.
For god's sake, just list the --prefix= command.
If users are advanced enough to want dirs scattered all over the place,
let them dig for the information in the ./configure --help pages.

Chapter 2.3.1 - top of page 36:
"If you are running NIS (aka YP) ..."
Yeah. Right. Cause we all know what that is and whether we are running
it.

Why is it that all linux documentation seems to be like this ? I know
catering to the lowest common denominator sucks, but at least catering
for the user with medium experience would be nice.

100+ man-hours and counting to set up AMANDA for just backing up one
server... And I have a bloody LPI cert in linux so I am not a drooling
newbie... This is ridiculous.

_______________________________________
Disclaimer: Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust

SECURITY WARNING RE: PATIENT OR OTHER CONFIDENTIAL DATA. Please note
that Internet E-mail is simply not a secure communication medium.
We strongly advise that you understand & observe this lack of security
when e-mailing us.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000: The information contained in this e-mail
may be subject to public disclosure under this Act.  Unless the information
is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this e-mail and
your reply cannot be guaranteed.

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom they are addressed.  If you have
received this email in error please notify your email administrator.

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author of this email
and do not represent those of Great Ormond Street Hospital for
Children NHS Trust unless specifically stated.

VIRUSES: This email message has been checked for the presence of
computer viruses by Sophos antivirus software.  However, this does
not guarantee that this email is free of viruses, and the recipient
should perform their own check.