Amanda-Users

Re: questions about tunning configuration

2005-09-16 05:14:30
Subject: Re: questions about tunning configuration
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:00:17 +0200 (CEST)
        Hi Gene,

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 09:11, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> enlightened us:

> be
> have a
> new

> if
> as I

> the
> real
> not
> >>
> >> I presume this is a problem in the changer script, not amtape per
> se.
> >> What changer script do you use?  Any script hackers want to tackle
> it?
> >
> >chg-disk
>
> I've been running chg-disk for about a year, maybe longer.  As you

Yep, me too.

> can see with ls, each virtual tape is nothing but a directory that is
> linked to as appropriate.  There is nothing I can think of that would
> preclude the copying of a directory (and its associated index files)
> to one or more data dvd's in order to 'take a snapshot' for archival
> reasons.  Or, if there is space available on the target drive, I

Indeed.

> assume it could be marked as no-reuse, and a new directory created
> and amlabeled in its place.

I'm working (when time permit) on a script to `intelligently' move tapes to an
offline location, and create/remove tapes on an as-needed basis, so I don't
have to do this manually anymore.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds