Amanda-Users

Re: Disabling size estimates?

2005-06-30 16:54:03
Subject: Re: Disabling size estimates?
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:35:57 -0600
On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 23:45 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> > Yeah, and they are *really* static. There's very little that changes
> > day-to-day compared to the overall backup size. I'd estimate we have
> > less than 1% change on the larger shares. This should work awesome, time
> > to run a test backup. :)
>
> Let us know, maybe this motivates more people to move on to 2.4.5.

Looking at my results from yesterdays backup with "estimate server", and
it's shaved *at least* 5 hours off the run! I am a very happy man. :D

Now, looking at the graphs that amplot generates (which is going to be
invaluable to us, kudos for making that utility!), I think I can
probably shave another 2 hours off now that it's got one full run of
stats and can better utilize the "HTHTs" scheduling policy I put in
place. :)

Of course, now I'm running into a problem where the crappy Silicon Image
SATA controller I've got my scratch disks hooked up to dies horribly
under heavy load, but that's hardly AMANDA's fault. ;)

Graeme

--
Graeme Humphries (graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com)
Linux Administrator

My views and comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my
employer.