Amanda-Users

dumper hanging on single item in disklist?

2005-06-30 18:50:25
Subject: dumper hanging on single item in disklist?
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:31:30 -0600
Alright, I think I've got just about everything sorted out in my Amanda
setup. However, I'm now seeing a strange occurance on a single entry in
my disklist. It's one of about 10 on a server, and all others complete
fine. However, this one starts backing up, and then just sits at 32k
transferred until it times out.

Here's what amstatus says about it:

server:/dir/problemshare/    0   600000k dumping       32k (  0.01%)
(16:06:27)

The estimated size is out to lunch, because it's never actually finished
backing up from this location before. Also, this was copied at 16:27:53
my time, so it's just been sitting there for 20 minutes doing nothing.

On the client server, I can see the following in the process listing:

31183 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/amanda/sendbackup
31185 ?        S      0:00  \_ /usr/lib/amanda/sendbackup
31187 ?        S      0:00  |   \_ sh -c /bin/tar -tf - 2>/dev/null |
sed -e 's/^\.//'
31188 ?        S      0:00  |       \_ /bin/tar -tf -
31189 ?        S      0:00  |       \_ sed -e s/^\.//
31186 ?        D      2:48  \_ gtar --create --file -
--directory /dir/problemshare/ --one-fil

It looks the same as the other dump jobs that are happening
simultaneously (and working!).

The same thing happened in my test from last night, and in the summary I
got mailed, it said this:

/-- librarian  /projfiles/rndprojfiles/ lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
sendbackup: start [server:/dir/problemshare/ level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -f... -
sendbackup: info end
\--------

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing it to die right at the start
of the job? The client is a RH9 (Fedora Legacy) box, with tar version
1.13.25, which I read as being supported.

Any ideas on how I can further debug this would be *greatly*
appreciated, as it's the last thing I need to sort out before making
this system live.

Graeme Humphries (graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com)
Linux Administrator
VCom Inc.
(306) 955-7075 ext 485

My views and comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my
employer.