Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda on Redhat, tape drive question

2005-03-21 16:46:42
Subject: Re: Amanda on Redhat, tape drive question
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, lynn AT sodor.wadsworth DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:35:24 -0500
Joshua,

yah, yah, that's the ticket.

modprobe aic7xxx did the trick. Do we need to do that manually
after boot or do you think we could get away with adding a startup
script to the box ?

Output from the mt and mtx commands below.

Now its time to load some tapes and create the amanda.conf for
this system.

                                        thank you very much,

                                                Brian

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 04:27:47PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 at 4:16pm, Brian Cuttler wrote
>
> > There is nothing in /var/log/messages (no scsi messages), however we find
> > the following in messages.1, which seems to show that all is well and that
> > the tape and robot are found and the drivers loaded.
> >
> > Is there some intermediate makedev command that should have but didn't
> > run when it was expected to ?
>
> The whole problem is that the drivers *aren't* loaded now.  If you just
> 'modprobe aic7xxx' then all should be well.  I'm just not sure why they
> seem to have been loaded upon boot, but aren't loaded now.

[root@fuji etc]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
 DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

[root@fuji etc]# /usr/sbin/mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
Product Type: Medium Changer
Vendor ID: 'M4 DATA '
Product ID: 'MagFile         '
Revision: '6.0 '
Attached Changer: No

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org