Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda on Redhat, tape drive question

2005-03-21 15:56:52
Subject: Re: Amanda on Redhat, tape drive question
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:47:16 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 at 3:21pm, Brian Cuttler wrote

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 02:30:58PM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 at 10:38am, Brian Cuttler wrote
> >
> > > The system we have attached it to is running kernel 2.4.20-24 on
> > > Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike).
> >
> > As an aside, I highly recommend CentOS as an option for RH shops moving
> > forward.  RH9 is far from supported, while CentOS (being an RHEL rebuild)
> > will be supported for years.
>
> Will have to talk with the machine owner. The system was intended to
> run software from Bruker (sp?) Scientific (NMR analysis) and I don't
> know that they are supporting anything other than RH Enterprise, which
> is a problem as this is Fedora. Not that sticking with SGI would help
> as the license fees for the drivers for any of the higher end tape drives
> is rather expensive (though it runs the Bruker stuff well).

CentOS *is* RHEL, for most intents and purposes.  It is rebuild straight
from the RH provided SRPMs.  Unless software depends explicitly on the
contents of /etc/redhat-release (and, really, those can be changed), if
it's designed for RHEL, it'll run on CentOS.

> > What does /sbin/lsmod say at this point?  Based on what's below, it
> > should be working...
>
> What am I looking at ?
>
> [root@fuji dev]# ls -l  /sbin/lsmod
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            6 Nov  6  2003 /sbin/lsmod -> insmod

I meant for you to run '/sbin/lsmod'.

> [root@fuji dev]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: CD-RW GCE-8160B  Rev: 2.11
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

?? The 'dmesg' output you sent showed an aic7xxx showing up as scsi1, with
the tape drive and changer attached to that.  They should still be there.
Are there any SCSI errors in /var/log/messages?  And, again, 'lsmod' will
show us whether or not the aic7xxx driver is still loaded.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering