Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup

2005-03-02 05:10:32
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: kshriyan AT redhat DOT com
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:58:08 +0100
Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

Can I prirotise the backup in Amanda, I mean first HOST A, Then HOST B
and next on words or can I specify in the disklist file

Not completely, but you have some control.

First there is the "priority" directive in the dumptype definition.
Here "priority" is not time related (common misconception), but,
when amanda has no tape to write, it falls back to degraded mode,
doing incrementals to holdingdisk.  If there is not enough space,
amanda chooses which to drop according to the priority
("priority low" is dropped first).

If you want time-based priority, you can add the "starttime" directive
to some dumptypes. The starttime indicates that backups will not start
until after this time of the day.  YOu can defined two dumptypes,
one without starttime (i.e. backups will start as soon as amdump starts), and one with a delayed starttime (then hopefully all the others
have already started). If you run amdump at e.g. 00:05 past midnight,
you can define these two dumptypes:

define dumptype normal {
    global
}
define dumptype delayed {
    normal
    starttime 200       # start at 2:00 am
}

You'll have to find out experimentally at what time it is safe to
start with the lower priority DLE's.  You'll have to understand
the relations between number of "inparallel" dumpers, and several
constraints that inhibit amanda to start another dump, like spindle,
"maxdumps" in the dumptype, bandwith and holdingdisk space.
"amplot" is your friend here, together with an careful examination
of the dump.X file.

That said, many people (like me) would like to start the longest
dumps first, not because they are more important, but that they are
finished by the time people start to work again, and so that they can
be put first on tape (avoiding restarting such a large dump because it
bumped into end of tape -- longest are probably among the largest too).
For that simple case, no need to add starttime, just change the default
dumporder:

inparallel 8            # or anything you  like
dumporder "TTTTTTTT"    # as many T's as you have "inparallel"
taperalgo largestfit    # why isn't this the default?