Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup

2005-03-02 11:17:11
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:03:49 -0500
On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:58:08AM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> >
> >Can I prirotise the backup in Amanda, I mean first HOST A, Then HOST B
> >and next on words or can I specify in the disklist file
>
> Not completely, but you have some control.

> If you want time-based priority, you can add the "starttime" directive
> to some dumptypes. The starttime indicates that backups will not start
> until after this time of the day.  YOu can defined two dumptypes,
> one without starttime (i.e. backups will start as soon as amdump
> starts), and one with a delayed starttime (then hopefully all the others
> have already started). If you run amdump at e.g. 00:05 past midnight,
> you can define these two dumptypes:
>
> define dumptype normal {
>     global
> }
> define dumptype delayed {
>     normal
>     starttime 200     # start at 2:00 am
> }

I've not played with 'starttime' but reading your note got me thinking
that having absolute times as arguments could be an administrative pain
if the amdump was run at varying times.

Is there any way of specifying a relative value?  Say "starttime +30"
so it would begin no less than 30 min after the first dump starts.
I guess it couldn't be after amdump starts because the estimate and
planning stage varies in length.

OK Jon, follow your own, oft given, advice, RTFM  ....

Well there certainly is nothing in the man page describing relative
values, so I suspect I answered my own query.  Perhaps it would be
a good "Wish List" item.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)