Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup

2005-03-02 13:18:14
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:06:45 +0100
Hi, Paul,

on Mittwoch, 02. März 2005 at 18:13 you wrote to amanda-users:

PB> To solve the problem of prioritizing the order of certain dumps,
PB> "starttime" (even with a relative time) is just a kludge, I believe.

I believe that as well.

PB> What I also would like to see is to schedule certain DLE's close to
PB> each other (e.g. because they contain parts of a database that has to
PB> stopped before dumping the first DLE and started after the last DLE --
PB> don't extend downtime by scheduling other DLE's inbetween).
PB> Maybe a directive "group" giving a name to each group.

PB> And while Santa-Claus is listening, I would also like a directive to
PB> execute some scripts at start and end of each "group" (a name of a
PB> script which must be located on that client), possibly with arguments
PB> provided on one (the first?) of the group members.

PB> host.com.tv /oradata1 {
PB>         comp-user-tar
PB>         order first
PB>         group db1 {
PB>                 atstart /usr/local/bin/dbstop PRD immediate
PB>                 atend   /usr/local/bin/dbstart PRD
PB>                 }
PB>         }
PB> host.com.tv /oradata2 {
PB>         comp-user-tar
PB>         group db1       # is a member of group named "db1"
PB>         }

Good idea ...

PB> I know, Santa Claus does not exist...
PB> But Stefan saves these mails, isn't it?

Yep, I do, and I let my mailer filter these mails into virtual folders
like "AMANDA Wishes" and "todo" ... (after tagging them).

Actually the development of AMANDA just sits there and waits for the
occasional hacker. Jean-Louis doesn't have much time to do all those
things and the amanda-hackers would need someone who is able to check
their patches and give proper feedback. I would like to dig into the
code more intensely but I still ain't a coder and don't know when I
will find the time to learn C at last ;-)

So I try to at least collect ideas and provide them to those who can
make solid code out of it.
--
best regards,
Stefan