Amanda-Users

Re: Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?

2005-02-20 16:44:25
Subject: Re: Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?
From: Mike Delaney <mdelan AT lusars DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:46:38 -0800
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 03:42:34PM -0800, Tom Simons wrote:
> Can/should Amanda use an Iomeg REV drive as an output tape?
>
> We've got 2 servers both running RedHat AS 3.0, with 35gb & 70gb hard
> drives on each, and we're intersted in running Amanda on one of the
> servers to back up both (& more servers to follow).  The "backup"
> server has a 35gb Iomega REV drive, which RedHat sees as /cdrom2.
>
> Has anyone used a REV drive with Amanda?

I recently started using one to backup my systems at home (I'm running
SuSE 9.1 on the Amanda server).  Works fairly well.  From the OS's
perspective, the REV cartridge looks like a really large DVD-RAM, so
for Amanda you'll need to setup vtapes on the cartridges.

You might want to install udftools on the server and lay down a new
UDF filesystem on the cartridges before trying to use them - I recall
getting some odd behavior with virgin cartridges which went away after
running mkudffs on them.