Amanda-Users

Re: Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?

2005-02-02 10:49:02
Subject: Re: Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:43:50 -0500
On Wednesday 02 February 2005 04:12, Mike Delaney wrote:
[...]
>> >Has anyone used a REV drive with Amanda?
>>
>> I can imagine that it may be possible, with some variation of the
>> FILE: device, and as Jon mentioned, they have a 10 disk changer
>> available which to me, would make it *much* more appealing given a
>> reasonable price for both the drive and the media..
>
>Single drives retail for ~ $350 - $450 depending on type (internal
> IDE, external USB, etc.).  Media lists for ~ $50 ea.  The
> autoloader appears to list for ~ $2200.  So the hardware is a bit
> cheaper than a (new) comparable capacity tape unit, but the media
> is more expensive.

Humm, thats not too bad, although the $ for the changer would scare
this SS recipient off I'm afraid.  As would a fifty per disk when the
tapelist gets up towards 20 or so.  OTOH, with that 36GB capacity, I
could do a dumpcycle of 2 days here, so I'd only need 4 or 5.

>> Jon (or anyone else with some thoughts here) how would one go
>> about dealing with the fact that the Iomega drive is probably a
>> random access drive, meaning it would need to use the FILE:
>> device, *and* treat it as a robotic changer mechanism to bring the
>> proper disk into the drive proper?
>>
>> The first thing would be to investigate and find out if the mtx
>> driver can control the robot.
>
>Assuming mtx can control the beast, it shouldn't be too difficult to
>modify chg-zd-mtx to mount and unmount the media.
>
>> Without the robotics, and just feeding it the disk cartridge by
>> hand, and using the FILE: device, it seems to me that wouldn't be
>> too hard to setup assuming that Tom can build snapshot
>> 2.4.5b1-20041221.tar.gz, obtainable from the amanda.org front page
>> via link near the bottom of the page.
>
>For those of us who haven't been keeping up with the betas, what's
> the must have feature in that one?  I've been using 2.4.4p2 with my
> REV without complaints.

I don't *think* the FILE: driver has made it to the 2.4.4 release yet,
but Jean-Louis can straigthen me out if it has.  I've been using the
2.4.5 stuff almost since it was first added to the snapshot
repository with only minor teething pains as I learn about any new
features that might be usful to me.  Its running so well here, the
next step is probably to remove the beta designation.

Jean-Louis?

>> Whats the rated read/write speeds on that drive Tom?  For amanda
>> to be useable, it needs to be able to do a more or less normal
>> backup in not more than 3-4 hours total elapsed time.  Can it fill
>> that sized disk in a reasonable time frame?
>
>I'm currently putting about 20GB on there per run in the space of
> about 3 hours.  Mind, that's going straight to tape and with one
> really slow host (which also happens to be the Amanda server) in
> the mix.

And thats w/o a holding disk?  Sounds ok to me.

>Iomega claims they're "8x faster than tape", with the fine print
> qualifying that as 8x faster than DDS4.  It probably won't beat,
> say, an LTO-2 for speed.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: