Amanda-Users

Re: Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?

2005-02-01 23:48:18
Subject: Re: Can Amanda use an Iomega REV drive as a tape?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Tom Simons <tom.simons AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:42:19 -0500
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 18:42, Tom Simons wrote:
>Can/should Amanda use an Iomeg REV drive as an output tape?
>
>We've got 2 servers both running RedHat AS 3.0, with 35gb & 70gb
> hard drives on each, and we're intersted in running Amanda on one
> of the servers to back up both (& more servers to follow).  The
> "backup" server has a 35gb Iomega REV drive, which RedHat sees as
> /cdrom2.
>
>Has anyone used a REV drive with Amanda?

I can imagine that it may be possible, with some variation of the
FILE: device, and as Jon mentioned, they have a 10 disk changer
available which to me, would make it *much* more appealing given a
reasonable price for both the drive and the media..

Jon (or anyone else with some thoughts here) how would one go about
dealing with the fact that the Iomega drive is probably a random
access drive, meaning it would need to use the FILE: device, *and*
treat it as a robotic changer mechanism to bring the proper disk into
the drive proper?

The first thing would be to investigate and find out if the mtx driver
can control the robot.

Without the robotics, and just feeding it the disk cartridge by hand,
and using the FILE: device, it seems to me that wouldn't be too hard
to setup assuming that Tom can build snapshot
2.4.5b1-20041221.tar.gz, obtainable from the amanda.org front page
via link near the bottom of the page.

Whats the rated read/write speeds on that drive Tom?  For amanda to be
useable, it needs to be able to do a more or less normal backup in
not more than 3-4 hours total elapsed time.  Can it fill that sized
disk in a reasonable time frame?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: