Amanda-Users

Re: Exabyte VXA-2-Packet-Loader: new problem

2005-02-20 16:40:16
Subject: Re: Exabyte VXA-2-Packet-Loader: new problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:05:25 -0500
On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:43:13PM -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
> I think I missed something here.  The response below, where did it come
> from ? (about the sleep delays, etc.)

In an earlier message I noted that after a command like an mt or mtx,
my drive returned control to the caller before it was ready to accept
the next command.  So a sequence like mt rewind; mtx slot 4 might fail
because the rewind was not quite finished.  Thus sleep delays.

Eric suggested, quite correctly, that instead of a sleep for a fixed
time, a script, possibly called mtsync, like this would be better:

    #!<some posix shell>

    TapeDev=${1:-/dev/rmt/0ln}
    Limit=${2:-120}
    cnt=0

    while (( cnt <= Limit ))
    do
        mt -f $TapeDev status > /dev/null 2>&1 && break
        sleep 1
        (( cnt = cnt + 1 ))
    done

    exit $(( cnt > Limit ? 1 : 0 ))

Untested, and assumes "mt status" returns 0 if drive is ready
and non-zero if not.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)