Amanda-Users

Re: barcodes in Exabyte 230D

2005-02-03 12:13:40
Subject: Re: barcodes in Exabyte 230D
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:07:40 -0500
On Thursday 03 February 2005 10:24, Wim Zwitser wrote:
>thank you for your advice to reinstall amanda using the tarball.
>The installation was simple.
>I use chg-zd-mtx as the recommanded changer with barcodereader,
>both in rpm-amanda and in tar-amanda, but still without success.
>
>But suddenly I ran into another problem. I could unload or eject
>a tape from the drive into the original slot before, but since
>yesterday I get:
>
># mtx -f /dev/sg1 unload
>Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 2...mtx:
> Request Sense: Long Report=yes
>mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
>mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
>mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
>mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
>mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
>mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
>mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 3B
>mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 83
>mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
>mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
>mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
>MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 451 to 1 Failed
>
>I did not touch mtx, etc.
>I have no idea where the strange value 451 comes from.
>
>Do you have a suggestion?
>
>Wim

The only thing that quickly comes to mind is that in configuring
chg-mtx, the wrong device was chosen for the drive or robot.  I'm not
familiar with either of course.  When unloading a tape, my assumption
is that the command to eject would have to go to the drive, and the
command to store the tape would have to go to the robotics.  That
however, could be builtin if the drive talks to the robot, and many
do.

Sometimes devices can move around from reboot to reboot, but thats
only a problem when using hotplug, or if the kernel is a different
one I think.

In the case quoted above, I'm puzzled, and I probably should have kept
my big know-it-all mouth shut.  You might also search for a hung mtx
using ps too.  I've never seen that (a hung mtx)
happen myself however.

Also, if using a redhat built kernel, they do not compile in the
option to make scsi do a 'scan all luns' at bootup, so if the robot
is at the same bus address but a higher lun than the drive, it will
not be found.  But I toss that out only as a point of reference since
most will, when building their own kernel, turn that option on as a
matter of good practice.  The few seconds of pause in the bootup is
not a major consideration in any case I know of except amigados,
which waits a full second for each lun to respond, so a full scan
there is a 49 second pause on a scsi-2 narrow bus.

One thing that can occasionally be illuminating is the contents of
the /var/log/dmesg file, which will often contain the data as to
whats what as it logs the discovery of attached hardware.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: