Amanda-Users

Re: barcodes in Exabyte 230D

2005-02-01 12:47:54
Subject: Re: barcodes in Exabyte 230D
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:33:17 -0500
On Tuesday 01 February 2005 11:22, Nick Danger wrote:
>Humm... mine does too. Using chg-scsi and have the the barcode

I think I'd try and switch to chg-mtx as you've already noted that mtx
itself seems to support it.  I used chg-scsi for quite a while, but
it has some problems that have never been addressed, such is a
(apparently, I was not able to make it work) missing rewind function.

>havebarcode      1   # Set this to 1 if you have an library with an
>installed
>                     # barcode reader
>
>Its working anyway, just does have to look at each tape.  Where does
>amanda store barcode information?

I do not know.  Reading the srcs might be enlightening.  I'd assume it
might become part of the tapelist's data, but never having had a
reader, thats just a SWAG.

Mmm, I see below that you installed from rpms.  Thats been known to
result in config difficulties.  Generally, we recommend building the
tarball.  Its not that difficult, or time consuming once you have
arrived at a working configure script.  I post mine here as a
guideline from time to time so the archives should have a copy.  I
can unpack a fresh snapshot in /home/amanda, become amanda and copy
my script into the new snapshots directory, cd to it, run the script,
become root and do a make install, & ldconfig in 5-6 minutes of an
XP-2800 Athlon box.

>-Nick
>
>Wim Zwitser wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to install an amanda server on a Linux Enterprise pc with
>> the standard redhat rpms's. The pc is connected to an Exabyte 230D
>> DLT jukebox with 1 drive and 31 slots.
>>
>> As far as I can see the basics are running fine, except one thing:
>> I can not read the barcodes on tapes in the jukebox  with one of
>> the am*-tools.
>>
>> The only tool which gives the barcodes is mtx. After "mtx inquiry"
>> the "mtx status" command lists barcodes.
>>
>> But "amtape <conf> show" starts to load all tapes one by one in
>> order to read an amanda label.
>> I like to see it reading the barcodes!
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea?
>>
>> Thank you in advance,