Amanda-Users

mounting/identifying a new tape drive

2005-02-03 12:06:33
Subject: mounting/identifying a new tape drive
From: "Gil Naveh" <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
To: "Amanda-Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:53:36 -0500
Hello,

I have a Solaris 9 box and we bought a new tape drive model Certance LTO-2.
Currently, I am trying to identify the tape drive using amtapetype command
but it does not work.

Let me go a step back and describe what I did so far.
I connected the new tape drive to our Solaris 9 server and I restarted
Solaris.
#iostat -En
and received the following output regarding the tape drive:
# rmt/0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
# Vendor: CERTANCE Product: ULTRIUM 2        Revision: 1703 Serial No:
5150-400

Finally, I want to run the amtapetype to identify the tape type definition
but was enable to do so!
When I typed:
#amtapetype: /dev/rmt
I received the following error message:
#amtapetype: /dev/rmt: rewinding tape: Inappropriate ioctl for device

When I typed:
# amtapetype: /dev/rmt/0
OR
#amtapetype -f /dev/rst13
OR
#amtapetype -f /dev/nrst13
The output is :
# amtapetype: could not open /dev/nst13: No such file or directory

Any idea why I am getting those error messages and whether I miss a step in
defining a new tape drive, or any command that describe where the new tape
drive is mounted?

This is propably a silly question but I am stuck so any help is welcome...

Thanks for your help,
gil