Amanda-Users

Re: AW: no different dumpsize between level 0 and 1

2005-02-03 12:25:45
Subject: Re: AW: no different dumpsize between level 0 and 1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:21:13 -0500
On Thursday 03 February 2005 10:27, Rainer Hackel wrote:
>Backupdisk was just a dummy-name. The true name is an other. It's a
>smb-share with office-files on it. I'm sure the users did not touch
> them all... Perhaps any running process??? Other smb-shares from
> the same hosts don't have this problem.

That pretty well explains it then.  Samba doesn't support the ctime
data so it looks as if its new stuff everytime.

If its not actually on a windows box, but is actually on another
filesystem, it may be possible to install the amanda client on that
box, which would alleviate this, and it also enhances the parallelism
of the amanda run, potentially speeding it up noticably.

I believe too, that there is a windows rsync client, so that if a
seperate non-samba holding area could be used for rsync to keep
uptodate, then the holding area rsync uses could be backed up
instead.  Be aware that rsync, in its runs, makes a backup copy of
everything, compareing the new and old data block by block by
checksums, and if the new data is different, subs that block, other
wise it does a local copy of that block from the old file to the new
one.  If there were no on the fly edits because that file wasn't
changed, the new one is deleted on completion of the compare, so
files that have not changed don't have their ctimes changed.  rsync
can be a very handy tool at times.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: