Amanda-Users

Re: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size

2005-01-18 05:09:50
Subject: Re: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:58:37 -0700

--On Tuesday, January 18, 2005 10:25 +0100 Peter Guhl <pgnews AT siconline DOT ch> wrote:

Hi

On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 17:09, Gene Heskett wrote:
Is that tape being properly rewound Peter?  Most drives will fully
rewind a tape before they allow it to be ejected, maybe you should
eject it and look at it between each pass.

It's probably not rewound, you're right. Eject and look at it is hard -
there are 50km between me and this tape ;) But I guess it doesn't really
matter since it's too much written for beeing at the end and too few for
beeing at the beginning. No matter where it starts - it should write
until the end and then either rewind (=write another 15GB the next time
I try) or stay there (= writing 0B). At least that's what I suspect if
it acts logically.

Dumb question, maybe already asked, 1) is any other app using the tape and 2) has anyone checked to make sure the mechanism isn't jamming since you're not there to watch it at all.