Amanda-Users

Re: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size

2005-01-17 05:51:01
Subject: Re: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size
From: Peter Guhl <pgnews AT siconline DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:34:47 +0100
On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 10:30, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Peter Guhl wrote:
> >
> > I still have my "short write"-Problem. The weekly backup fails and every
> > amflush fails too - even though the tape (DLT) is 10 times bigger than
> > any data left on the holding disk.
>
> One more thing.  What number in the report makes you believe the tape
> is 10 times bigger than data on holdingdisk?  Maybe you made a mistake
> in calculating, or misinterpreted some numbers.  Post the relevant lines
> to prove it.

Well, I did just look what was left on the holding disk after the backup
process ended (using "du"). It was between 0.5 and 2 GB. Since the tape
can hold at least 15GB uncompressed at least "amflush" to a completely
new tape can't possibly fill it.

Another clue is that the amount of data available at the clients is not
really huge. Mostly configurations, websites and logfiles which are easy
to compress to low sizes.

I am not sure where in the report I could look this up to proof it. Of
course - I might be wrong...

Regards
      Peter