Amanda-Users

Re: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size

2005-01-17 04:41:45
Subject: Re: short write even if the dumps are just 10% of the tape size
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Peter Guhl <pgnews AT siconline DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:27:51 +0100
Peter Guhl wrote:

I still have my "short write"-Problem. The weekly backup fails and every
amflush fails too - even though the tape (DLT) is 10 times bigger than
any data left on the holding disk.

"Short write" means that there was a permanent error writing to tape.
Most (all?) tapedrives detect "end of tape" when bumping into a hard
write error (as opposed to "soft", when a rewrite of the same block
does work).  That means that a tape can't make a real difference between
the real End-of-tape or a write error due to a bad tape, bad write head,
dust on head, etc.

Try cleaning the drive.  Try using a new tape.

To prove hardware problems, use a fresh tape, and do a
"amtapetype -e 20g -f /dev/..." (takes about 4-5 hours!) and verify
the result of the claimed capacity.  If you do this several times,
the reported capacity should not fluctuate much.

While doing the above test, try to load the computer (disk, bus,
network) at the same time, to exclude other problems.  I once had
an system with HPUX with two scsi-cards, but after all kinds of weird
problems, it turned out that two scsi cards were not supported.  All
simple tests worked fine, but as soon as I used the cdrom-drive, together with disk activity on a disk connected to the other scsi-card
the computer paniced.  I would not expect this to result in a "short
write" however, but you can't exclude anything on "undefined behaviour".

Any tip would be greatly appreciated (the customer is close to kill
me...).

Monday mornings -- I hate them too.