Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data

2005-01-11 17:00:33
Subject: Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:51:18 -0500
Jon,

Recommended buying an additional scsi card more than once to the
system's owners, haven't made the case yet (maybe now). I would
really have liked the raid array on a separate bus from the tape
drives.

I have to trust that the proper cabeling to terminate the additional
lines is present in the jukebox casing as the wiring is inaccessible
and the sdlt completely enclosed (there is a door that slides open to
admit to expel cartridges) and only well, 4 connection, 2 scsi (in
and out), power and a port for a serial console.

I agree with you completely but all I can hope for at the moment is
to get the narrowest bus as far away from the cpu as I can.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:40:40PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Not a scsi expert here, but if you terminate the jukebox, wouldn't
> that terminate only the narrow portion of the bus leaving the extra
> lines of the wide bus unterminated.  Might there be some kind of
> device/cable to go from wide -> narrow terminating the unused lines?
>
> Also, I think that if both types of devices exist on the same bus,
> the lower performance one determines the performance of the entire
> bus.  That narrow jukebox may hurt your sdlt performance just by
> being on the bus.  Some of my scsi adapters have multiple channels
> and buses.  Perhaps you could run the sdlt's on one channel, wide,
> and the jukebox on another, narrow or wide.  I added a cheap second
> controller from a dead system for a very similar purpose, external
> devices that were narrow when the main controller was driving only
> wide devices.  Its two channels were used for different speed devices.
>
> jl
> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>  JG Computing
>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org