Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate timeout error

2004-12-07 15:34:04
Subject: Re: Estimate timeout error
From: Nick Danger <nick AT hackermonkey DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:26:11 -0500
Paul Bijnens wrote:

But the reply packet never got acknowledged by the server.
Somehow it got lost or corrupted.
Default route for reverse path not correct?  Wrong subnetmask?
Try do get a network trace at the client and server, and inbetween
(don't know how to accomplish that on a PIX firewall):

Solaris:
    snoop -x42 host x.x.x.x proto udp port 10080
using open source (linux and others):
    tcpdump -X host x.x.x.x and udp and port 10080
Or other programs that have the same capabilities (ethereal etc).

Before guessing how to fix it, we must know where the problem is.
Is the packet lost?  or is it broken?

Quick recap: Server grolsch tries to back up client dominion. It works for the partitions of /, /usr and /var. As soon as I tell grolsh to back up dominions /u00 partition (a 45G partition, but presently only 177M full w/approx 2000 files) it will fail. I have since removed /u00 from backups to at least keep things working in the meantime but I would like that data backed up :-)

I have moved the amanda server to public IP space. It is still behind a PIX firewall, I just got rid of the private IP to public IP mappings. This didnt fix it :-) Not that I thought it would, I just got annoyed at some of the routing.

I ran tcpdump on client and server, the dumps are on the following page, lined up as best I could to show the flow. It seems when doing the partition that makes it fail, a bunch of packets do not get from the client to the server. Since I am no expert in TCPdump or interpreting its results, I hope this helps figure out the problem.

tcpdump results on http://www.hackermonkey.com/amanda-error.html

-Nick