Amanda-Users

Re: Estimate timeout error

2004-12-02 17:07:19
Subject: Re: Estimate timeout error
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Nick Danger <nick AT hackermonkey DOT com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:02:18 +0100
Nick Danger wrote:

Nope - still a problem. The error is still as below:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:

 dominion.h /var lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from dominion.xxx]
 dominion.h /usr/local lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from dominion.xxx]
 dominion.h /usr lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from dominion.xxx]
 dominion.h /u00 lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from dominion.xxx]
 dominion.h / lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from dominion.xxx]

I have the timeout in amanda.conf set to an ungodly high number of

etimeout -12000         # total number of seconds for estimates.
[...]
sendsize: debug 1 pid 26242 ruid 33 euid 33: start at Thu Dec 2 11:25:07 2004
sendsize: version 2.4.4p1
[...]
sendsize: time 172.473: pid 26242 finish time Thu Dec  2 11:27:59 2004

The estimate really takes only 173 seconds.  That means that etimeout
is plenty (better lower it again to normal values).

The problem seems to be in the reply packet.

I've already seen problems with a UDP-packet overflow, but that's
unlikely.  That problem happened with older versions where the UDP
size was only 8Kbyte or so. Currently it is 64K, but it could be
limited by the OS too, of course.  The reply packet is usually larger
than the request packet, because it contains 1 to 3 lines for each
DLE (level 0, current level, current plus 1).
In amandad.DATETIME.debug, you can find the request packet, and the
reply packet.
Any weird limitation on UDP packet size on one of the hosts (or
intermediate routers/firewalls)?

Another problem could be in the iptables modules for amanda, where
there is already twice a bug introduced.  I don't know exactly the
last status of that bug.  If not needed, do not use the amanda iptables
modules.  Try "lsmod | grep amanda".  (Or on intermediate firewalls!)

Maybe try a network traffic dump (with tcpdump or similar program)
on client *and* host?