Amanda-Users

Re: Recommendation for tape drives

2004-12-03 15:40:06
Subject: Re: Recommendation for tape drives
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:35:15 -0500
Gil,

I should also ask... how many partitions are being backed up ?
What are the relative sizes of these partitions ?
How often do you hope to backup your data ?
For what period of time would you like to retain the data ?
 ie size of tape pool ?

Amanda wants to schedule a level 0 dump each "dumpcycle".
It will schedule higher level dumps in between the level 0 dumps.

I would "guess" that a DLT drive, even a relatively small DLT 4000
might be enough to backup your data with a pool of 20 days, one/day
across a 5 day "week".

It is what my site did - but I don't think my solution will necessarilly
meet your needs, especially since (I believe) $ 1000 is a little tight
to purchase a DLT and tape pool.

You could use a lower capacity drive, provided it was large enough
to backup the "largest" partition you have - provided someone was
in attendance to manually load the next tape, that is "manual" version
of a jukebox. Recall that amanda is not designed to span a DLE across
multiple output volumes.

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 02:20:58PM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:
> Some more specifications regarding getting a tape drive:
> I have a Solaris 9 box which will be the Amanda server
> I have to back up another Solaris box as well as a few Window2000 boxes.
> The budget for the tape drive is about 500$ to 1000$ (without Jukebox - too
> expensive)
> I would like to use compression, yet I have no idea about the
> compressibility of the data.
>
> My preferences would be: 1) A device that can store 30GB or more. (most
> important)
>                          2) Easy to configure with Amanda.(very impportant)
>                          3) Reliable (very impportant)
>                          3) Fast to record and recover (less important)
> thx :)

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org