Amanda-Users

Re: Recommendation for tape drives

2004-12-03 16:47:06
Subject: Re: Recommendation for tape drives
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Gil Naveh <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:36:31 -0500
Gil,

Amanda is designed to attempt to load average data across the week.
You can coerce it into a weekend full but it isn't the normal method
of operations. This will require a large enough single volume to
backup all partitions at level 0, rather than distrubuting level 0, 1, 2,
across 5 volumes.

I've only heard good things about the VXA drives but have no personal
experience.

Yes, amanda can backup to "virtual tapes" on disk - but that doesn't
really protect you from fire/flood. One of the guys where I work likes
to ask "How big an asteroid are you expecting ?" What level of disaster
do you need (mandated ?) to be ready to recover from ? This may be a
perfectly reasonable thing to do at your site, or it may not.

How many/much of the amanda docs/howto files have you read though ?

                                                Brian