Amanda-Users

RE: Recommendation for tape drives

2004-12-03 16:26:26
Subject: RE: Recommendation for tape drives
From: "Gil Naveh" <gnaveh AT cleverex DOT com>
To: "Brian Cuttler" <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:21:12 -0500
Thanks much for your help.
I have to convince my manager that it is essential to priorities backing up
our systems (including budget)
We are planning to perform level 0 backup during the weekend and incremental
backups during the week days.
Brian - it sounds like a similar situation to your system - a cycle of 5
days incremental backup and weekend full backup.
Please note that we have two separated data center so I should also consider
the Bandwidth on the network...

Regarding your question about how many partition do I have to back up - It
is hard to say because I just realized we bought two new servers...

I just want to have a backup - so I can sleep better at night...

Any thoughts about the drive: "EXABYTE 80GB/160GB VXA-2 TAPE DRIVE LCD INT"
? (It cost ~950$ sounds like a good deal)

Finally, we have a window server with free hard drive storage - about
200GB - my manager think that it would be better to backup our data on those
hard drives. Is it feasible to do so with Amanda? and if not recommended,
any good arguments are mostly welcome.

Thanks again and have a great weekend,
Gil