Amanda-Users

Re: Have you got any problem?

2004-05-19 14:41:07
Subject: Re: Have you got any problem?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:37:47 -0400
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 13:58, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>Primero: Pablo.  Lo siento si alguienes no tienen tiempo para
> ayudarte con su problema.  (Y lo siento si mi espa~ol no es tan
> bueno, tambien...)  No ha leido los correos otros, pero voy a
> buscarlos ahora, y ver si puedo contestar tus preguntas.

First off Ken, let me say that I'm glad someone who apparently speaks
spanish fairly well is on this list and can bail us out of what was
becoming an adversarial exchange.  Stick around please, the list
definitely needs such people as you.

Second, to the list in general:

Have we not been a bit enthusiastic about the english only rule?

My feelings are that if we have someone here who can help in the
posters native language, we should stfu and let him do it.  If he
gets in over his head, then maybe he can do the babelfishes job by
translating both ways and thereby obtain some help for the poster.

We english speakers tend to have an attitude that its the only
language to be allowed.  Thats not a very pretty attitude to the rest
of the non-english speaking world.

>Second: <Flame&Rant> Okay, guys -- it must be fun to make fun of
> someone whose English isn't all that hot.  Be damn glad you're not
> posting on a Spanish list, I'm thinkin'.  As for the "yes, do" re:
> "contact your system administrator", well.. that's a fine way to
> show what a good job Open Source does of supporting end users.
> Well done -- you should be proud.  Perhaps you could try reading
> incomplete docs on Amanda sometime -- I know I had enough trouble
> getting it working correctly with the ones in English.  And don't
> let me to forget to mock you when you ask for help; it always makes
> (l)users such as yourself so much happier. I'm sorry, but "RTFM" is
> _NOT_ a viable response.  Even in the most egregious cases (so long
> as flamebaiting isn't the intention), at most a simple, "Please
> read the docs; here's a URL" is a fine response. </Flame&Rant>
>
> Whew.  Sorry about that.  I've been using Linux and Open Source
> since '93 or so, and I've been on the Internet since '88... and bad
> manners -always- gets my goat.  I'll return to technical
> discussions with Pablo now -- probably off-list, since the poor guy
> isn't a masochist.

We'ed rather see it translated for us if you don't mind, and have the
time.

Beats my history, I was still running all amiga's till '97 or so and
retired it after a drive failure in '00 IIRC.  Built my first linux
box in '97, and updated to rh7.3, its still my firewall.

>-Ken D'Ambrosio

>>> If I really get bored, I also get sarcastic sometimes.
>>> Last week another luser (or was it the same?) copy/pasted
>>> a logfile, which ended in "or contact your systemadministrator".
>>> I suggested he followed that suggestion. It was at least quiet
>>> for a few days.
>>>
>>> PS. Notice I can spell "quiet" in the correct context too? :-)
>>
>> Two things:
>> For use amanda i am following a spanish tutorial, wich is not a
>> full translated copy of the original. Every time I have a problem
>> first I serach in the docs and if i dont find them then I wrote to
>> the list. I readed the FAQ and other docs but I didnt find a
>> solution
>>
>> Sorry if annoyed with my questions, but i think this is a list for
>> ask and answer problems. And sorry again if im not a computer
>> expert.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Pablo

>> Una nueva forma de navegar. Descarga la Barra de Herramientas de
>> MSN. http://toolbar.msn.es/

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: