Amanda-Users

Re: getting past "sendsize"

2004-02-24 11:43:26
Subject: Re: getting past "sendsize"
From: Charlie Wiseman <wiseman AT cs.utk DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:41:06 -0500
> ...now that amanda on my server finally is doing something, I am
> (unfortunately) stuck with the next strange thing. First of all: The
> file system I am about to back up is on an external RAID system and
> around 600 GB in size so I am using GNUTAR to back up the whole
> mess (since, at least as I read in various mailing lists, it's not
> possible to make amanda dump file systems across multiple tapes).
> Most of the things seem to work fine, amdump itself starts, spawns
> several dumper-processes and launches an amandad which starts
> sendsize and does a tar across the filesystem to be backed up. Some
> minutes later, all the processes ended again, nothing has been
> written to any tape, and I am grepping around the amanda
> documentation, being pretty clueless where to look at, now. Can
> someone enlighten me (again)?

Not sure if you are having the same problem I did, but I was in a similar
situation a while back.  It was after I had switched to using gtar, and
one of my machines kept hanging on sendsize.  I'm still not entirely sure
why, but sendsize was getting confused when backing up the / (slash)
partition.  So, I broke up the partition into smaller chunks in the
disklist, (/etc, /var, /usr) and everything started working again.

Hope this helps,

--Charlie Wiseman
System Administrator
Dept. of Computer Science