Amanda-Users

Samba >sigh<

2004-02-24 11:33:05
Subject: Samba >sigh<
From: "Jack Parker" <jparker AT artentech DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:35:49 -0500
Greetings,

We have a mixed network here, 3 RedHat 7.3 boxes, 2 Windoze XP boxes, 1
Doze - 2003, 1 Doze 2000 pro boxes.  Amanda 2.4.2p2.  Samba 2.2.3a.
These versions are the stock RH7.3 versions.

Recently configured Amanda to back things up, using smbclient to visit
the Doze boxes.  I am VERY impressed with Amanda, rather impressed with
Samba, and less than impressed with M$oft.  I've spent quite a bit of
quality time with Google, Samba, and Amanda sites.

At issue is that we can connect fine to one of the XP boxes, and to the
2003 box, but not to the other two.  Also, of the two backed up 'shares'
on the XP box - one gets dumped, but the other fails consistently -
except during amcheck when it comes through fine.  Yes, I do have them
dumping in serial (using spindle)

Let's steer clear of specifics and ask the broader question - am I
totally loony for attempting this layout?  Should I (have) upgrade(d)
the packages in question?  And the nuts and bolts question - has anyone
attempted to do a write-up on getting all of this to work?  If not, can
I count on some assistance (or at least review) to attempt it myself?

Regards,
Jack Parker
(Relative Newbie)