Amanda-Users

Re: Allways Level 0 on one tape?

2004-02-24 11:57:20
Subject: Re: Allways Level 0 on one tape?
From: David Wolfskill <david AT egation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:54:59 -0800
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:26:00AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 at 2:04pm, Tom Brown wrote
>> Is it possible to have amanda allways do a level 0 to a particular tape?
>>
>> say i have 7 tapes i would like the normal run on 6 of them shich may
>> include level 0's but when it comes to one tape allways do a level 0 to this
>> tape?
>>
>> Is that possible?
>
>The only way I can think of offhand to do it would be semi-manually.  You
>could run a script (in cron, even) to check the output of 'amadmin $CONFIG
>tape'.  If the output is the tape you want level 0s on, run 'amadmin
>$CONFIG force' for each entry in your disklist.

The thought that occurs to me -- assuming(!) that I properly understand
the requirement -- would be to create a second Amanda configuration, in
which all backups are level 0s, and use that configuration when the tape
in question is to be written.

This may require a bit of "juggling" depending on the number of tapes,
frequency of backups, and the like.

[When I was at Whistle, I used a "normal" Amanda configuration 6 days of
the week; the remaining day, I used a different configuration, using the
same pool of tapes, that did a level 0 backup of everything, but did not
record the information (in amandadates) -- thus, these level 0 backups
would not be used as a "base" from which to create incrementals.  I
would then place the full backups & the documentation for them in a
canister to be picked up for off-site storage.  We had a set of 3 such
canisters; most of the time, one canister was on-site (and empty), while
the other two were off-site.  (It would be Very Bad to need to use the
off-site facility, only to find that the only backup of some critical
data didn't make it.  Thus, I tried to improve the odds by keeping the
previous weeks' full backup there, as well.)  Even if a courier had one
canister, there should be one in safe-keeping at all times.  These
numbers could be adjusted, certainly: 3 would be the minimum.]

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                                 david AT egation DOT com