Amanda-Users

Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?

2004-02-06 14:25:39
Subject: Re: How can I split up a large disk partition?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:22:28 -0500
On Friday 06 February 2004 07:54, stan wrote:
>> I think it is simpler than that.
>>
>>  -- first set --
>>  include "./[A-K]*"
>>
>>  -- second set --
>>  exclude "./[A-K]*"
>
>Well, I still don't have somethign right here.
>
>Here is amstatus from last nights run:
>

>Script started on Fri Feb  6 06:39:04 2004
>$ amstatus DailyDump
>
>black:ads1e/ak 0 planner: [dump larger than tape, 25191930 KB, but
> cannot incremental dump new disk] black:ads1e/kz 0 planner: [dump
> larger than tape, 25191930 KB, but cannot incremental dump new
> disk] black:ads2e/ak 0 planner: [dump larger than tape, 20386670
> KB, but cannot incremental dump new disk] black:ads2e/kz 0 planner:
> [dump larger than tape, 20386670 KB, but cannot incremental dump
> new disk]
>
>And here is the dumptype def from amanda.conf
>
>define dumptype comp-user-no-compress {
>    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
>       maxdumps 3
>    priority medium
>}
>

>And here are the entries from disklist
>

>black ads1e/ak ad1s1e {
>       include "./[A-K]*"
>       user-tar-no-compress
>       } 2 local
>black ads1e/kz ad1s1e {
>       exclude "./[A-K]*"
>       user-tar-no-compress
>       } 2 local
># black ad2s1e comp-user-no-compress 3 local
>black ads2e/ak ad2s1e {
>       include "./[A-K]*"
>       user-tar-no-compress
>       } 3 local
>black ads2e/kz ad2s1e {
>       exclude "./[A-K]*"
>       user-tar-no-compress
>       } 3 local
>black ad6s1e comp-user 4 local
>
>So what did I do wrong, this time :-(

All these dumptypes reference "user-tar-no-compress", but you only
quoted "comp-user-no-compress" in the additional dumptypes defined.
So we are walking around in the dark here, busting our shins on the
furniture just like you are.

And again, you have made the ordering mistake in the additional
dumptypes.  The additionals should list the parent as the *first*
line inside the {}, and the exclude string as the last thing inside
the {}.  In other words, the last entry above should read:

black ads2e/kz ad2s1e {
        user-tar-no-compress
        exclude "./[A-K]"
        } 3 local

The trailing /* in your example string is not, I don't believe,
required, and may even be messing with things.

Another comment is that the dumptype specs in amanda.conf apparently
REQUIRE a blank line seperator between them, which I do not see
above.  FYI, amcheck will complain about that, but the complaints
aren't from that, but from the errors it causes, so confusion reigns
supreme :-)  Then, your device string ads2e/kz, needs a leading /
too.

Then, as another setup comment, in addition to maybe breaking it up
into even smaller pieces, which is A Good Thing(tm), to help amanda
get in step, its common to setup the defines, but only expose, by
comment removal, about half a tapes worth of entries per night.  This
helps amanda by giving her a startup schedule that once its up and
running, can the be optimized by amanda as time goes by.

All told there are several reasons why it may not work as intended in
the examples above.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: